Hotel Chief Engineer: Role, Responsibilities & Resources
A hotel chief engineer is responsible for facility operations and maintenance services. The chief engineer is the primary leader of the maintenance department and answers directly to the General Manager of the property.
What are a Hotel Chief Engineer's responsibilities?
Hotel chief engineers are responsible for:
- Managing all hotel asset preventive maintenance
- Manage hotel maintenance team, organizing efforts around providing a premier facility to support positive guest experience
- Represents engineering department in management meetings
- Plan, prioritize and schedule maintenance tasks
- Respond to guest maintenance requests
- Leads installation of all new equipment
- Ensures proper record keeping for hotel audits and inspections
- Ensures parts inventory is sufficient to handle reactive work orders
- Perform daily and weekly property inspections
- Provide training and mentorship to engineering department
What is a Hotel Chief Engineer's Annual Salary?
Hotel Chief Engineer's salary can vary a lot depending the following factors:
- Is the property independent or corporate?
- What is the market the property competes in?
- Where is the property located?
- How many rooms are in the property?
- What is the experience level of the applicant?
- How is the overall job market demand?
There are many more factors that contribute to salary data variation, so most sites provide salary information in a range to ensure that there is proper coverage. The table below shows the latest salary ranges for Hotel Chief Engineer's across the major salary reporting platforms:
What are characteristics of a typical Hotel Chief Engineer?
The average age of a Hotel Chief Engineer is 41 and average education level is a bachelor's degree. Beyond education, a good chief engineer has at least 5 to 7 years of industry experience in hotel engineering and has managed teams before. Hotel Chief engineers are great critical thinkers who can both plan for and react to unexpected events. Chief engineers have a deep understanding of all the hotel equipment, including the work history and any specific needs it may have. Finally, Hotel Chief Engineers are organized and methodical in their approach to maintenance and can manage a team to reach a common goal.
Average Age: 41
Average Education Level: Bachelors degree
Average Salary Range: $55,000-$96,000
Industry Experience: 5-7 years
Management Experience: 2-3 years
- Critical thinker
- Problem solver
- Lead by Example
Top Resources for a Hotel Chief Engineer
Xenia offers tons of free educational resources for frontline teams. For Hotel Chief Engineers, we recommend visiting:
- Hotelier Guide to Maintenance, Inspections & Audits
- Ultimate Hotel Operations Management Guide [+10 Free Checklists]
- Benefits of a Digital Work Order System [+ free excel template]
- How to Conduct a Hotel Maintenance Audit [+ Checklist]
- 5 Steps for Hotel Preventative Maintenance [+ Checklist]
- Proactive Maintenance Examples, Types and Strategies [+checklist]
- How Do Hotels Prevent Bed Bugs? [+Pest Control Checklist]
- What Is Reactive Maintenance And Why It Matters
- Best Hotel Room Inspection Checklist
Checklists, Logs and Calendars:
- Hotel Boiler PM Checklist
- Hotel Boiler PM Log
- Hotel CCTV PM Checklist
- Hotel Chiller PM Checklist
- Hotel Dryer PM Checklist
- Hotel Sauna PM Checklist
- Hotel Steam Room PM Checklist
- Hotel Washer Extractor PM Checklist
- Hotel Daily Maintenance Checklist
- Hazard Report Form
- Hotel Preventive Maintenance Calendar
- Pool Maintenance Calendar
- Hotel Boiler PM Log
- Hotel Maintenance Work Order Log