Hotel Sales and Marketing Director: Role, Responsibilities & Resources
A hotel sales and marketing director is the head of the sales and marketing department at a hotel property. They are focused on new business development, brand image, competitive strategy and managing sales and marketing teams.
What are a Hotel Sales and Marketing Director's responsibilities?
Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors oversee the day to day operations of sales and marketing teams. This include responsibilities such as:
- Establish sales and marketing goals
- Set sales and marketing budget
- Hire train and manage sales and marketing team members
- Create and implement short and long-term marketing strategies
- Generate new business for property
- Prepare sales and marketing reports for management
- Evaluate market trends and evaluate competition
What is a Hotel Sales and Marketing Director's Annual Salary?
Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors salary can vary a lot depending the following factors:
- Is the property independent or corporate?
- What is the market the property competes in?
- Where is the property located?
- How many rooms are in the property?
- What is the experience level of the applicant?
- How is the overall job market demand?
There are many more factors that contribute to salary data variation, so most sites provide salary information in a range to ensure that there is proper coverage. The table below shows the latest salary ranges for Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors across the major salary reporting platforms:
What are characteristics of good Hotel Sales and Marketing Director?
The average age of a Hotel Sales and Marketing Director is 46 and average education level is a bachelor's degree. Beyond education, a good general manager has at least 5 to 7 years of industry experience in either sales or marketing and has managed teams before. Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors are curious and creative with good people skills. They need to be able to understand the core customer segments and how the individual property appeals to these individuals. Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors need to be future looking and have a perspective of how the competitive environment will evolve over time. Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors are great communicators and are key players in partnership development within hotels.
Average Age: 46
Average Education Level: Bachelors degree
Average Salary Range: $55,000-$91,000
Industry Experience: 5-7 years
Management Experience: 2-3 years
- Good with people
- Smooth talking
- Problem solver
- Lead by Example
- Able to motivate team
Top Resources for a Hotel Sales and Marketing Director
Xenia offers tons of free educational resources for frontline teams. For Hotel Sales and Marketing Directors, we recommend visiting:
- Ultimate Hotel Operations Management Guide [+10 Free Checklists]
- How to Create a Hotel Sales & Marketing SOP [+ Checklist]
- Hotel Reputation Management Checklist